The St. Louis River River Watch project is a youth-based water quality monitoring program for the St. Louis River and its tributaries in northeastern Minnesota. This project targets secondary school students and promotes and inspires stewardship of the largest U.S. tributary to Lake Superior and other nearby waterways.
Currently, students and teachers in public, private, tribal, home, and alternative schools enthusiastically gather chemical, physical, and biological data twice per year at river sites located throughout northeastern Minnesota. In most participating schools, these activities are integrated into the secondary science curriculum. An estimated 800 students per year strengthen their scientific skills while working together to serve their communities and their watershed.
The St. Louis River River Watch Monitoring Protocol Handbook is available for review and printing here.
Since 1997, Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College in Cloquet, Minnesota, has coordinated this monitoring effort. Grants from the United States Department of Agriculture have provided funds to support and expand the program.
- Provide environmental education opportunities to students and teachers by offering a hands-on approach to learning about the cultural and natural history of the St. Louis River watershed
- Cultivate a life-long sense of stewardship toward the river and the river communities
- Collect and interpret baseline water quality data using sound scientific techniques
- Share water quality information with state and local communities in a variety of ways such as the media, brochures, and public presentations
- Encourage citizen participation in reaching the long-range management goals for the river
- Collaborate with agencies and groups on watershed-related studies
Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College directs and coordinates the St. Louis River River Watch program. Grant funding to support this program is received from the National Institute of Food and Agriculture of the United States Department of Agriculture.
For further information, contact:
Fond du Lac Tribal & Community College
2101 14th Street
Cloquet, MN 55720
Check us out on our Facebook page!
Check out our project newsletters: