Mobile menu button
FDLTCC Banner Image
Fond Du Lac Tribal and Community College in Cloquet, MN

Veteran’s Benefits

Many education benefits are available to advance the education and skills of veterans and military service members. Spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance.

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents
The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA.

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) (Chapter 30)
For active duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.

Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) (Chapter 1606)
For Reservists with a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve who are actively drilling.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)
REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the President or Congress.

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35)
The Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Apply for Benefits
To apply for one of these benefits, go to and click on apply online to be directed to the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP).
Complete and submit the application online. Once the VA receives and processes your application you will receive a letter in the mail from the VA regarding your benefits. Please bring a copy of the letter to Erica Gelo, Assistant Registrar, and VA Certifying Official in the Records and Registration Office (RM 128). The information from the letter is used to complete the certification each semester.

Military Transcripts and Credits
Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College accept military credits. Military transcripts can be requested through the Joint Services Transcript (JST) at

Additional Veteran Resources

FDLTCC VA Certifying Official
Amanda Olson, Assistant Registrar
RM 128
Office Hours 8-4:30 Monday-Friday
Phone (218) 879-0885

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs Higher Education Veterans Program
David Martin, Northeast Regional Coordinator
Office phone number: 218-733-7604
Cell phone number: 218-260-6558 or

Contact information for the VA.
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)