Mobile menu button
FDLTCC Banner Image
Fond Du Lac Tribal and Community College in Cloquet, MN


North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin residents may attend public institutions in Minnesota on the same basis that Minnesota residents attend these institutions. These students are charged special tuition fees similar to those charged to Minnesota residents. Admission requirements are similar to those for Minnesota residents. Potential out-of-state students interested in attending Minnesota institutions of higher education should contact their high school counselors, or the following respective state offices for reciprocity applications:

North Dakota University System
State Capitol Building
600 E. Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0230

South Dakota Board of Regents
Reciprocity Program
Box 2201
Brookings, SD 57007-1198

Wisconsin Higher Education Aids Board
Reciprocity Program
Box 7885
Madison, WI 53707-7885

Minnesota residents interested in obtaining reciprocity applications may find these applications at public higher education institutions throughout Minnesota. Applications are also available by writing to:

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Wells Fargo Place, Suite 350
30 East 7th Street
St Paul, MN 55101-2292

Changes in the application forms for reciprocity occur each year. New forms are typically available during the month of April at the offices indicated above.

Determination of Residency

Residence status of students shall be determined at the time of registration. The permanent residence of the student’s parents (or guardian if approved by the chancellor or designee), is considered for students under 21 years of age. For students 21 years of age or older, the student’s permanent residence is considered.

Students may establish eligibility for in-state tuition by demonstrating domicile in Minnesota before the beginning of any semester. Students have the burden of proving domicile for purposes on instate tuition. Several facts and circumstances will be considered when processing an application for instate tuition. These facts and circumstances are outlined in MnSCU Board Policy 2.2, Part 2, Subparts B and C, which is located on the Minnesota State website located here.

Information is subject to change.