Animikii Mazina’iganan: Thunderbird Press is a teaching press for those living in the present and dreaming of the future. We aim to publish innovative, culturally significant, high-quality works in English or Anishinaabemowin.
Our mission is to:
- Develop and promote the work of Anishinaabeg and other regional writers
- Provide a home for manuscripts that have unique cultural, historical, and local significance
- Create and publish innovative curriculum, educational materials, and student research
- Educate our students to prepare them to become writers, editors, or publishers
We publish work which exemplifies Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College’s core values:
- Respect: Manaaji’idiwin
- Integrity: Gwayakwaadiziwin
- Stewardship: Ganawenjigewin
- Innovation: Maamamiikaajinendamowin
- Compassion: Zhawenjigewin
Our Publishing Process:
Currently, Thunderbird Press releases one publication per academic year. We are not currently accepting unsolicited manuscripts or proposals.
The Thunderbird Press team is excited to join the community of small regional presses in our area with its first publication, Fur Trade Nation. Using pen and ink drawings, Carl Gawboy (Bois Forte) explores the history of the Fur Trade and its impact on Minnesota. A release party will be hosted at FDLTCC on April 30. More information can be found at https://fdltcc.edu/event/carl-gawboy-book-release-party/.
To learn more about Animikii Mazina’iganan: Thunderbird Press, and Fur Trade Nation: An Ojibwe’s Graphic History, please contact Rain Newcomb at rnewcomb*AT*fdltcc.edu.