Many education benefits are available to advance the education and skills of veterans and military service members. Spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance.


Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.


Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA.


Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) (Chapter 30)

For active duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.


Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) (Chapter 1606)

For Reservists with a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve who are actively drilling.


Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)

REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the President or Congress.


Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35)

The Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.


Apply for Benefits

To apply for one of these benefits, go to and click on apply online to be directed to the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP).

Complete and submit the application online. Once the VA receives and processes your application you will receive a letter in the mail from the VA regarding your benefits. Please bring a copy of the letter to Erica Gelo, Assistant Registrar, and VA Certifying Official in the Records and Registration Office (RM 128). The information from the letter is used to complete the certification each semester.


Military Transcripts and Credits

Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College accept military credits. Military transcripts can be requested through the Joint Services Transcript (JST) at


Additional Veteran Resources


FDLTCC VA Certifying Official
Mariah Rozell, Assistant Registrar
RM 128
Office Hours 8-4:30 Monday-Friday
Phone 218-879-0885


Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs Higher Education Veterans Program
David Martin, Northeast Regional Coordinator
Office phone number: 218-733-7604
Cell phone number: 218-260-6558
david.martin*AT* or david.martin*AT*


Contact information for the VA.
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)


FDLTCC offered me a supportive environment I couldn't pass up, everyone and everything here at school is trying to help you succeed, from the programs, to the faculty, to the resources.

I chose FDLTCC because of its size and the curriculum. When I first came here in 2019, I was just looking for what I needed to volunteer, perhaps in a crisis shelter. I met with Don Jarvinen, and the rest is history.

I chose FDLTCC for a fresh start in life. It had been two years since I graduated High School and I wanted more than just working a 9-5. I was living in Florida at the time, and I had an opportunity to travel the world doing what I love playing the game of basketball.