COMING FALL 2024!
Unfortunately, this is not a “free college for everyone” program: we wish it was! Students must meet eligibility criteria to receive a tuition and fee waiver.
The North Star Promise (NSP) Scholarship creates a tuition and fee-free pathway to higher education for eligible Minnesota residents at eligible institutions as a “last-dollar” program by covering the balance of tuition and fees remaining after other scholarships, grants, stipends, and tuition waivers have been applied. This new program was designed to make college accessible and affordable. NSP is intended to have a positive impact on multiple fronts:
- Help stabilize enrollment at Minnesota public institutions of higher education;
- Serve as an economic driver for Minnesota by educating qualified workers who are much needed to fill vacancies in the state’s labor force;
- Create a viable higher education path for Minnesota residents who may have previously thought education was not a possibility for them.
How to Apply
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Minnesota Dream Act application. That’s it! The Financial Aid Office will review all student’s FAFSAs and Dream Act applications and will notify students if they are eligible.
Who is eligible?
Eligible students must:
- Be a Minnesota resident
- Have a family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) below $80,000 as reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act
- Attend a Minnesota public higher education institution or Tribal College
- Not be in default on a state or federal student loan
- Be enrolled taking at least one credit
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards
- Have not already earned a baccalaureate degree
- Be enrolled in a program or course of study that applies to a degree, diploma, or certificate
Key Information About the North Star Promise (NSP) Scholarship
- The grant only covers tuition/fees – not books, dorms, or any other charges
- Is a “last dollar” form of funding, meaning it pays whatever is left of your tuition/fees AFTER all other financial aid has been applied (i.e. t/f – other financial aid = award amount).
- Does NOT produce any leftover funds. It only pays off unpaid tuition/fees after financial aid was applied
- Eligibility is determined every semester. You will need to fill out the FAFSA each year. A student who receives a grant one semester is not guaranteed to receive funding for the next semester. Eligibility is subject to the availability of funds and any changes in your enrollment, FAFSA, or other financial aid may change the amount you receive each semester.
- Length of eligibility: Students earning 2-year degrees can receive the award for a total of 60 credits. Students earning 4-year degrees can receive the award for a total of 120 credits.
Questions? Email NorthStarPromise.OHE*AT*state.mn.us